Return to Main Archive Island Website Archive Island - an upcoming television series :: View topic - Which Song Is The Masterpiece Of The 20th Century?
Archive Island - an upcoming television series Forum Index Archive Island - an upcoming television series
Looking at the 20th century thru the eyes of the future!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Song Is The Masterpiece Of The 20th Century?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Archive Island - an upcoming television series Forum Index -> Top ten Songs of the 20th Century
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Song Is A "Masterpiece Of Writing?"
Bohemian Rhapsody
28%
 28%  [ 27 ]
Hotel California
22%
 22%  [ 21 ]
Let it Be
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Imagine
25%
 25%  [ 24 ]
Somewhere Over the Rainbow
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 94

shakypainter
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Which Song Is The Masterpiece Of The 20th Century? Reply with quote

******************** REGISTER TO VOTE ********************

What song is professor Rawlins referring to when he says "by all standards it is a masterpiece of writing?" What other songs should be on this list?

Who is professor Rawlins you ask? He's a music studies professor at the University of Archivillia. You can hear him address the new students at the University by clicking the link below:

http://www.archivillia.com/classicsongs.html

We've set up this "day in the life of Archivillia" file so you can combine it with a song of your choice and share it with your friends! If you have the software, you can end this introduction to Archivillia with a song YOU think is a masterpiece of writing!

Unlike virtually all other futuristic television series, Archivillia will not really be about the future. It will be about how the 20th century is seen by the eyes of the future! Use your imagination for a moment! What song do you think will be used by music professors of the future when introducing students to life in the 20th century! Next time you hear a classic song, imagine you're in the future, and this song was written over 300 years ago!! How will they interpret the song in the future??

We really want Archivillia to be interactive. Please feel free to take a classic song, combine it with Professor Rawlin's speech to the students, and share it with your friends.

Teachers, please note: This is a very good CREATIVE and LEARNING exercise for your students!!

http://www.archivillia.com/classicsongs.html

R.B. Newberry

Jan 6/06

Archivillia is pronounced 'ark-uh-vill-ee-uh'

Last edited by shakypainter on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:11 pm; edited 31 times in total
Jokimen

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Top ten songs Reply with quote

I think your top songs are a little to focused on a short decade with a bias on Beatles songs, songs like 'My Way' Paul Anka, 'Puff the magic dragon', Peter.Paul & Mary, Blowing in the wind, 'White Christmass' are legitimetly as much a master piece of writing as what you have in your list, you should expand the list to at least 10 songs.
Uryahump

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Standards Reply with quote

Lets not forget the 'Standards, like "Crossroads' by Robert Johnson was the basis for alot of artist like Eric Clapton.
Trevor (Atlanta)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: school Reply with quote

Supertramp's school is hte claassic, classic classic of classic songs. chec out the piano solo at the end, it even sounds like classical piano! it just doesn't get any better - THIS is the song Ralins shoud use to introduce students to your little futuristic university! THIS hould be their first tast of 20th century music!

Trev in Atlanta.
Tina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Yes! Reply with quote

Supertramp rules! Breakfast in America is one of the most solid albums ever! like, every song is goood, there's no "filler." Logical song is another one that would be a good one for your professor.

very good concept people., go with it!

Tina.
Bootyboote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: 'School' by Supertramp Reply with quote

'School' by Supertramp is a great song for 'Archiviilia', it raelly fits the
'Corriculum' so to speak.
wasted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: what about the who? Reply with quote

teenage wasteland, should be on the list. it speaks to the seventies more than any other song. your rawlins dude would defnitely rock on that one.
Cheese is loud!.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Barbra O'reily Reply with quote

Barbra O'Reily is the 'Who song your talking about.
Krowkuss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: The Who Reply with quote

The Who are in my mind one of the top five best and origingal bands of all time, I would also include Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and The Stones as well.
Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: you hit it! Reply with quote

I think you're right on with B Rhapsody. It's fricken genius! It makes me wonder how it came together, like did it drop out of the sky or whhat? How did they come up with it? does anybody know?

I think queen will be known as the shakespeare of the 20th century. anyone agree? disagree?

Sarah.
Gerald

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: fat bottomed girls Reply with quote

Yes Queen did maany classics. Fat bottomed girls rocks! nobody in rock had a more unique voice than freddy mercury. The name Queen is understood in many languages. I remember reading in an article once that they went with the name queen because they wanted a name that would be understood in as many languages as possible.

Queen will definately be remembered in the future! I agree with your Rawlins professor, the stones will likely be forgotten, dispite them calling themselves the greatest band in history! ha ha they're practically legends in their own mind!

Gerald in San Fran
Jan B.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: ditto Reply with quote

Yes, agreed, Stones are overrated, Queen rocks!
Helenia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Top Song Reply with quote

I would say that ' Stairway to heaven' by Led Zeppelin would have to the greatest musical composition both lyricially and melodiclly speaking Exclamation
Tammy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

What's up with you guys putting Led Zeppelin on your 'forgotten artists' speech? What a load of sh**! Stairway to Heaven is like one of the most best songs ever written! Get a clue would you!

Tammy.
Sarah B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Sir Elton John Reply with quote

I don't think "sir" (he was knighted wasn't he?) EJ is going to be remembered that far into the futue. His songs aren't melodic enough to be remembered. Have you ever heard anybody whistle an EJ song? sorry, he is fabulous, and an incredible piano player - not going to be remembered in the time of the big ark.

Sarah.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Archive Island - an upcoming television series Forum Index -> Top ten Songs of the 20th Century All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: